Getting a good start in high school is important. Here are a few tips to keep in mind to be successful in high school:
- Continue to select your classes carefully with the help of your high school counselor. Keep in mind your plans after high school.
- Grades matter - remember, it's all about M.E. (Math and English).
- Continue to focus on your GPA (Grade Point Average); Your GPA is reported to colleges and employers after high school. Keep more options open by getting strong grades now.
- Maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher will also qualify you to apply for the prestigious Doyle Scholarship in your senior year.
- Enroll at SRJC as a high school student to get caught up on credits or get a head start on your college classes.
- Enrollment fees are waived for High School Dual Enrollment Students, so take advantage while you are still in high school.
- Get involved! Join clubs, volunteer, job shadow; participate in student leadership, athletics, and the arts. Find something that interests you.
- Seek leadership positions in school and community whenever possible.
- Stay tuned for announcements about SRJC presentations or representatives. Be sure to attend presentations, or search out SRJC representatives when we are on your high school campus.
- Visit college campuses whenever possible - take an individual or group tour of SRJC's Santa Rosa Campus or Petaluma Campus; or a self-guided tour of SRJC's Santa Rosa Campus.
- Do "informational interviewing" of people in jobs or careers you are interested in or want to know more about.
- If your high school has a College and Career Center, be sure to get well-acquainted with it. Use the resources and services provided! Students who have chosen a career path or a college major are much more likely to be successful in college.
- Attend summer classes, if possible.
Follow the Steps for New Students to ensure your success:
- Step 1: Apply
- Step 2: Orientation
- Step 3: Check and Understand your Placement
- Step 4: Education Planning and Counseling
- Step 5: Enroll/Register for classes